Thursday 7 May 2020

Some Book Recommendations

Hello everyone and thank you for leaving some messages... It's really great to hear from you all.
Here are some books that you might like to try - they have all been recommended by readers in Year 6.
I will keep on adding more books to this page as you suggest them -

Mrs Allen is reading Brightstorm by Vashti Hardy. This is the first Sky-Ship Adventure about the twins Arthur and Maddie Brightstorm. The book looks and sound really exciting. And if you like this one you will be glad to know that there are more adventures coming soon. 

The next recommendation is The Beast of Buckingham Palace by David Walliams. I'm sure that lots of you have already read some of David's book so you know that you will be in for a treat when you read this. I've not read this one yet but I'm sure that I will. If you read it too - let me know what you think of it. A S-D in year 6 says "This book is about life in 2120 where climate change and pollution has sent the world into eternal darkness and the royals have taken control dissolving the police, the army and the parliament." 

If you like fantasy and magic then I am sure that you will like the Harry Potter books by J.K.Rowling. One reader in Year 6 has alread read the first two books and is now reading the Prisoner of Azkaban. Here is the excellent recommendation from a reader in Y6 - "I'm really enjoying it.I have read numbers 1,2 and now about to finish 3.I am planning to read all of them in lock down.Once i spent 2hours and 30 minutes ready because it was such a lovely day."
The final book recommendation today comes from Amelia in Yr 6. Amelia is reading Zoe's Rescue Zoo by Amelia Cobb. There are a lot of books in the series and they are a lot of fun - I have read one called "The Picky Puffin" - if you like fun stories with animals in them then I am sure that you will enjoy these. Here's what Amelia says about them. 
"Zoe's Rescue Zoo is about a girl called Zoe who lives in a zoo that her great-uncle set up and he goes around the world saving animals and taking them back to the zoo were Zoe's mum is the vet. Zoe helps them with what ever they need and she is always getting in trouble by the zoo manger. Also Zoe has a pet lemer called Meep. The book serious is writen by Amelia Cobb and illistrated by Sophie Williams."


Thank you for these fantastic recommendations ... I hope you enjoy reading them.
I will be back tomorrow with some other things for you to do...

Have fun reading

Damian



5 comments:

  1. I would like to reccomend the book series Murder most unladylike by Robin Stevens.Thank you!

    by JULIA YEAR 6

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for recommending that Julia. I have read one of Robin's books and really enjoyed it. I will do a new bog post over the weekend and include that.

      Have fun reading...

      Delete
  2. Hi Damin,
    Thank you for putting my reccommedation up.I have never read the Picky Puffin but I have seen it in the library. Ienjoy this book serious so much that I once got a book called the Lonly Lion Cub and finished it within an hour!
    Thank you again
    Stay safe and keep reading
    Amelia Yr6

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I got a bit hooked on the story in Brightstorm - I do love a good adventure! I thoroughly recommend this book for anyone who enjoys a bit of mystery, adventure and maybe some steampunk. The main characters are twins - a girl who loves engineering and her impulsive but resourceful brother who was born with just one arm. They end up (after several mishaps) going on an amazing exploration of some undiscovered lands in a sky ship. I just loved it!
    I'm now starting a new book called 'The Owl Service' which is quite a weird story set in a magical valley in Wales about 50 years ago. Three are some mysterious plates with owls on and strange things keep happening (scratching noises in the ceiling, plates smashing when no-one is around, plaster falling off walls to reveal an old painting) - I don't know why yet as I haven't got to that part!
    Mrs Allen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great to hear... I will add that to a blog post as soon as I can. The Owl Service is by Alan Garner isn't it (I think - of course I could look it up couldn't I). I have heard great things about the book but haven't read it myself yet. It was mentioned quite a bit when Harry Potter came out and owls were being used to send messages. A bit of magpieing perhaps.

      Delete

The Global Heroes Are Here!

As well as working on lots of little books during the past year, I've been busy working on a new series called Global Heroes . You can f...